Monday, October 26, 2009

NaNoWriMo - just around the corner!

This will be the first year that I participate in NaNoWriMo, and I am pretty excited.

Wait, let me give a little back story:
I wrote a book last year, that is currently in the agent circuit. The problem is that Dark Kismet (the book) is Young Adult Paranormal Romance... i.e. vampires, witches, etc. This is possibly getting to be a over-submitted genre for most agents, and apparently in danger of over published as well. There are so many out there, and so many others hopefuly of getting published as well, that finding an agent is difficult. I don't want to go the self-published route, and I would rather not run headlong into unfamiliar territory by submitting directly to publishing houses. So, while it is what I love (paranormal romance, and vampire fiction in particular), I believe I am going to put it aside for a while, and move on. I have another one that was also in the works, that is also Paranormal Romance, but all witches more or less, but I think I am going to let that one sit for a bit as well.

So that brings me to what I have planned for NaNoWriMo. It is a young adult paranormal thriller (I am still working out the exact genre, but thats the closest thing I can connect it to right now), but no vampires, witches, or werewolves. I have a very good vision of it in my mind, and it plays out well to me. It isn't vampires, but it is still something that thrills me. I think that's what's important in this case. Others have heard out my plans and are really excited about the storyline, so I take that as a good sign.

I have read over an over, that you should write what you love. What I love happens to be pretty darn popular at the moment, but with that popularity comes the drawback of being over-popular. So, time to think outside the box. Time to step away from my general confort zone and feel around for some other inspiration. Time to write! Well, almost. Can't start just yet, but I am getting ready to rock this!

Anyone else participating in NaNoWriMo?

No comments:

Post a Comment